Tuesday, January 31, 2012

China Life

It’s been a different experience. I hope that in these next few weeks I can give you a glimpse of the life I’m living here in the east. I’m thoroughly enjoying it. With that said, I’m still working on a balance between schoolwork, exploring Xiamen, chatting and adventuring with new friends and following routines.

Here's an aspect of my life in China that I’ve appreciated recently.

Chinese New Year was on January 23, and with it came incredible excitement throughout Xiamen and the rest of China. EVERYONE is on vacation, so it’s crazy. I watched the New Year’s gala, a 4 or 5 hour TV special that nearly a billion people tune in to with the coming of the Year of the Dragon. There were musical performances and dance routines, but I especially appreciated the comic stand-up that apparently was really funny. We went and saw the fireworks, and let me just say, China’s fireworks displays surpass America’s. Here’s a little shot of the 45-minute fireworks show. We got dangerously close but it was WORTH IT.


Now, I’m going to steal an idea from my friend Adrienne (SHOUT OUT) who’s living in Ireland for two years. Instead of “You know you’re in Ireland when…” I bring you…

You know you’re in China when…
- any building, elevator or restaurant usually has someone smoking in it
- people belch to show that the meal was satisfactory
- anyone on a bus will instantly give up a seat for a child or elderly person

- Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment