Sunday, January 8, 2012

Xiamen, eh?

Now even though I’ll be studying in Xiamen (pronounced “Shah! Men?” apparently) for 3 months, I actually don’t know very much about it at all. What I DO know I’d love to share with you, because Xiamen is supposedly quite unique.

I had the opportunity to go to China for the month of January last year, and while there, I got to speak to some of Chinese people and ask them about Xiamen because I knew about the program that Taylor offered. I was told four things.

1. The women in Xiamen are gorgeous.

2. Xiamen is one of the most beautiful cities in China, actually making it one of the top honeymoon locations in China.

3. An island in Xiamen is actually car-free… bikes only.

4. It’s known for its coffee and tea shops.

So you may be thinking that this sounds more like a vacation. I’m hoping it has some of those aspects! I’m looking forward to the possibility of studying in a tea shop by the coast in sub-tropical weather on a beautiful campus. In fact, the university almost looks like a resort! (Click the image for a larger picture!)

The university itself was founded in 1921 and has around 20,000 undergraduates. This is a bit different than Taylor, with roots back in the 1840s and around 2,000 students. Taylor isn’t quite coastal or full of city-life either. This is another aspect of this study abroad that will be challenging – a complete shift in the environment in which I’m going to school.

I’m curious to see what expectations come true and what ends up completely unexpected. Either way, I’m going into this trip with an open mind and trust I’ll have a very memorable experience.

- Kev

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you kev!!! I'm praying for you everytime I think of China!
    ~naomi

    ReplyDelete