Sunday, April 15, 2012

I could live in Shanghai.

After Beijing came another overnight train ride to Shanghai. I have been excited about traveling to Shanghai ever since I became interested in China!

The idea of beautiful skyscrapers in a city near the coast that lights up at night was incredible to me. This was our version of spring break. Click on this picture for a larger image.

I had free time to do whatever I pleased for our time in Shanghai, which meant that I had the opportunity to see a good friend of mine from freshman year who lives in Seoul, South Korea. She transferred from Taylor University and was now studying abroad in China as well, just south of Shanghai! In the previous blog post I was talking on the phone in the Summer Palace photo, and that was me making PLANS. After both of us getting lost in Shanghai’s metro system, Minyoung You (that’s her last name, I’m not talking about “you” although it would’ve been fun if “you” were there, I’m sure) and I got to spend the whole day together hitting up Shanghai!

We spent way too much time at the Apple store complaining about prices in Chinese.

There was something about the whole experience that made me feel independent. The fact that two college students who live abroad decided to meet up in one of the most famous cities in the world in a foreign country felt very… mature. Thinking about why I decided to go abroad to China for a semester got me wondering. Deep down I think I was seeking a tangible and challenging experience that represented my adulthood, my independence. The image of sitting at a coffee shop studying near the Xiamen coast was subconsciously idolized for me. This very trip represented a rite of passage for me, and I don’t think I realized that until about a month ago when these feelings were being experienced firsthand. I think a lot of people pray for big and influential experiences in their life that shape them, and it’s fun to eventually realize that you’re going through one.

What was planned to be a big touristy day, we mostly ended up talking about life at coffee shops. We also tried to hide under stranger’s umbrellas when it was raining.

Back to Xiamen now!

- Kev

1 comment:

  1. Kev, this is out the solar system cool. I CANNOT wait to hear everything about this when you get back. For serious, I want you to talk at me for hours about your new-man outlooks on life. Miss you a butt-ton.

    ReplyDelete