Monday, April 9, 2012

Beijing!

After I took an intense history class in Xi’an and said goodbye to my Xi’an friends, I took off by overnight train to Beijing, the capital of the People’s Republic of China. It was great finishing that history class, but I can safely say that I have every dynasty and most important figures memorized in China’s 4000ish year history. I still keep in contact with the friends too.
I actually read the Analects of Confucious and gave a 25-minute presentation on him and his writings. I loved it. It was very interesting and I actually saw a lot of Confucian ideals in Christianity. There was a big difference though. Confucianism glorifies man and his ability to achieve greatness through his own effort, whereas Christianity emphasizes man’s inability to do anything without Christ.

He was actually 6’4” and was an expert at chariot driving and archery. Dispose of your preconceptions!

So my first overnight train ride was a fun experience. I ended up watching Airplane! with some friends and two Chinese men in our berth. They didn’t understand a lot of the humor, but when they did, they thought it was hilarious. We emphasized the fact that these aren’t the only kinds of movies we watch, so as not to further any American stereotype of bone-headedness. We then played Chinese chess, which the Chinese find very impressive that we know how to play. It was actually required in one of my culture classes to learn and play the game competently and it has definitely helped further some friendships with the Chinese! I then attempted to sleep amidst the bumping and rattling, but overall it was a calm and nice ride.

My experience in Beijing was similar to my previous experience I had a year earlier when I came to China in January 2011. The big difference was that when I saw the historical landmarks, they had more meaning to me since I had learned about them in class. I made more connections, felt more knowledgable and was able to appreciate much more of Beijing. For each of the places we went, I’ll give a small tidbit of historical context to show off my history skillz!

SUMMER PALACE

Fact: The first summer palace was SACKED in the second Opium Wars in 1856-1860. They made a new one. It’s too bad, because that place was really decked out.

GREAT WALL

Fact: It was built by the first emperor of China, Qin Shi Huangdi. Modern-day Chinese have mixed feelings about him because he successfully united China, but was gratuitously harsh.

TEMPLE OF HEAVEN

Fact: It was built during the Ming dynasty in the 1400s, which was also the time that China ruled the seas with the Treasure Fleet. It was epic.

SPIRIT WAY

Fact: I can provide zero facts because it was raining and I was starving. I faintly remember many statues on a pathway. It’s all a blur.

TIANENMEN SQUARE

Fact: Most known for the incident in 1989. It’s also most known for having some of the most intense government surveillance than anywhere else in China. They can hear any and every conversation! I bought a small Chinese flag so as to appease.

FORBIDDEN CITY

Fact: Also built during the Ming dynasty. There’s a whole building devoted to tea drinking for the old Emperor and his guests. I could get in on that.

Next up: SHANGHAI!

- Kev

1 comment:

  1. kevin. i want to come to china. more importantly, i want to go to china with you. i need a cool guide. and a fellow adventurer. and i think it would be hilarious to see how we travel together.

    ReplyDelete